Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Autumn Brings Changes

Autumn is my favorite time of year. I thoroughly enjoy the beauty of the leaves changing color, the tinge of crisp air that isn't nearly cold, but enough to indulge in a snuggle-soft sweater. Halloween brings a mystique all its own; the opportunity for adults to play nearly as much as the children do, and to remember the awe of the holiday when we were children ourselves.

And here I find myself with a foot in two countries, and somehow, it's not nearly as stress-charged for me as I once felt. Not too long ago I felt as though I belonged in neither "home" -- that I fit in perfectly on neither side, and that was frightening -- but gradually I grew to have two "homes." There's a certain unique feeling to be straddling both borders, especially when there are so many similarities and subtle differences between the two. I revel in both the same and the different, and it gives me a perspective I never would have had would I have stayed indefinitely in my hometown. I definitely feel that the situation, although at times tremendously difficult, has been amazingly enlightening.

It's never perfect. And there is always someone to miss no matter which side I am living. But there is a freedom inherent in having either option open to me. It offers new opportunities for adventures, to ever turn a new leaf, to ever have a new beginning, or perhaps a renewed beginning. And to me, who thrives on variety and the ever-turning new leaf, it fits somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment